Skip to main content

The Backup Plan

    I write often about the radical lifestyle of following Jesus. It isn't something to be taken lightly, but a responsibility and a privilege. So on that note, I want to ask you a question-- do you trust fully in God's plan for your life? Not your plan, but His. Because if you do then you should have no other plans set in place in case His doesn't work out-- no backups.

    Like I mentioned the other day, when we feel like we are losing control of our lives and there are too many unknowns, we tend to take the reigns away from God. The same is to be said for when we plan for God's plan not to work. We make conditions on our perfect and Holy God. "Ok Jesus, if you don't do this thing you said you would by this date, I will have to find another way." Maybe you're out of a job and relying on the promise that God will provide everything you need. In your mind, you may feel like time is running out and all you can see are your circumstances-- bank statements, bills, budgets, etc. That is a very tempting situation to resort to a backup plan and to take matters into your own hands. That's a dangerous place to be.

    Trust in God's plan and His perfect timing. Trust in Him so completely that you leave no backups, no other moves to be made. Let Him truly go before you and prepare the way. Let Him fulfill the promises that He gave us in His word. That's when you are free and able to walk by faith. Go there with God-- I dare you.

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. (ESV)

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. (ESV)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listen Up

    Is Jesus talking to you? I hear many people wonder how to hear God's voice and what to listen for. I want to offer a bit of wisdom on the topic. If you are wondering if God is talking to you, the answer is yes. We were designed to have a relationship with our creator and He is always there trying to get ahold of you if you'll only pay a little attention.     How does God communicate with us? The first way is through His word. Those are direct words from God Himself, written through His people. The Bible is our instruction manual to life. Whatever difficulty we may be facing, there is always an answer in scripture. God, having known every need before we ever needed it, has already provided an answer. 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness (ESV)     The second way God communicates with us is by talking directly to us. Just like Adam and Eve spok...

1 2 3, Count on Me

     I am thankful to say that for the first time in my life I am surrounded by friends and a community who I know will always build me up and point me in the right direction. More importantly, I know that they will always be honest with me. Honesty is a rare trait these days and I think it to be (combined with love) the most important thing to have in any relationship.    The Bible instructs us to speak life and truth into one another. To be honest and point each other to Christ when we are failing to see straight. I cannot emphasize how much I have grown since having access to that kind of community. Being in close friendships where I am able to be completely honest about my life, my struggles, my thoughts without fear of rejection or judgement is monumental alone. But take that a step further. I have been blessed to have friends that I can not only share my most intimate thoughts with, but they additionally are on their toes looking out for me and honest wh...

Humble Pie

    One of the most valuable characteristics in our walk with Christ is humility. When we have the ability to humble ourselves before Jesus and accept His leading, we go far. But problems arise when we force our own way. Humility is a characteristic that allows us to accept correction and truth and grow stronger because of it. Pride keeps us tied down and unable to grow up in Christ.     We have our brothers and sisters around us to keep pointing us to Jesus. That means helping us through areas not aligned with Him and combating those areas with the truth. But if we get angry and reject those people, we miss out on growing up for sake of being "right" and lose the people Jesus put in our lives for His sake. It doesn't matter if we are right but only that we follow what Jesus calls right and good. He is the one true judge and if we respect His ultimate goodness and authority, we should aim to follow in His ways.     Do not let your pride stunt your spiri...