Skip to main content

Thyatira

Revelation 2:19-28 “I know all the things you do. I have seen your love, your faith, your service, and your patient endurance. And I can see your constant improvement in all these things.
“But I have this complaint against you. You are permitting that woman—that Jezebel who calls herself a prophet—to lead my servants astray. She teaches them to commit sexual sin and to eat food offered to idols. I gave her time to repent, but she does not want to turn away from her immorality.
“Therefore, I will throw her on a bed of suffering, and those who commit adultery with her will suffer greatly unless they repent and turn away from her evil deeds. I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am the one who searches out the thoughts and intentions of every person. And I will give to each of you whatever you deserve.
“But I also have a message for the rest of you in Thyatira who have not followed this false teaching (‘deeper truths,’ as they call them—depths of Satan, actually). I will ask nothing more of you except that you hold tightly to what you have until I come. To all who are victorious, who obey me to the very end,
To them I will give authority over all the nations.
They will rule the nations with an iron rod
and smash them like clay pots.
They will have the same authority I received from my Father, and I will also give them the morning star!" (NLT)


    The church in Thyatira is very similar to the church in Pergamum. Like Pergamum, they had allowed a wolf among their sheep. Although Jesus commends them for their increasing love, faith, service, and endurance, He calls them out on account of Jezebel. She is recognizable as a wolf because of the way she leads unsuspecting Christians astray and convincingly teaches them to sin against God.

    Interesting that Jesus says He has given her a time to repent of her actions but she refused. Her love for sin and immorality is far greater than her fear of God. Be not mistaken, friends. There are people like Jezebel in churches today. They wiggle their way into an influential position in the church and pull people to themselves instead of Jesus. It is usually done in a way that is hard to recognize unless you know to look for it. Keep your eyes open!

    One thing mentioned is that these deceivers will claim "deeper truths" and revelations of Jesus Christ. But this too is a lie. There is nothing deeper than the truth and these so called revelations are simply twisting the truth into lies. If someone claims that they have a new and fresh revelation of Jesus that goes beyond the pastors of your church, you should be alarmed. In those circumstances, ask Jesus to reveal HIS truths to you and He will. Seek His truth and you will find it.

    For those of you who remain unwavering in your faith and wise to Jesus' truth alone, there will be a great reward. Remember how sly Satan is. He is the great deceiver. Do not fall for anything that appears too good to be true or claims to be a "deeper truth." Do not allow the Jezebels of the world to lead you astray from the One True God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listen Up

    Is Jesus talking to you? I hear many people wonder how to hear God's voice and what to listen for. I want to offer a bit of wisdom on the topic. If you are wondering if God is talking to you, the answer is yes. We were designed to have a relationship with our creator and He is always there trying to get ahold of you if you'll only pay a little attention.     How does God communicate with us? The first way is through His word. Those are direct words from God Himself, written through His people. The Bible is our instruction manual to life. Whatever difficulty we may be facing, there is always an answer in scripture. God, having known every need before we ever needed it, has already provided an answer. 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness (ESV)     The second way God communicates with us is by talking directly to us. Just like Adam and Eve spok...

Multiplication Without Division

    The church environment is made to be the body and the family of Christ. We are supposed to love each other and support each other through everything. Sadly, this is not the attitude of most churches in America today. Unfortunately, many people bring the world into the church instead of bringing the church into the world.      A lot of people use the church as a place where they can jockey for positions and get recognized for their talents. They use it as a place where they can judge and condemn others from the safety of their own elite clique. They look down condescendingly on those they see sinning, while sweeping their own sin under the rug.  They cause division. This attitude comes straight out of the world without Christ.  Matthew 7:5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. (NIV)     A church is a place where we exalt Jesus and ...

Humble Pie

    One of the most valuable characteristics in our walk with Christ is humility. When we have the ability to humble ourselves before Jesus and accept His leading, we go far. But problems arise when we force our own way. Humility is a characteristic that allows us to accept correction and truth and grow stronger because of it. Pride keeps us tied down and unable to grow up in Christ.     We have our brothers and sisters around us to keep pointing us to Jesus. That means helping us through areas not aligned with Him and combating those areas with the truth. But if we get angry and reject those people, we miss out on growing up for sake of being "right" and lose the people Jesus put in our lives for His sake. It doesn't matter if we are right but only that we follow what Jesus calls right and good. He is the one true judge and if we respect His ultimate goodness and authority, we should aim to follow in His ways.     Do not let your pride stunt your spiri...