Skip to main content

Make Time

    As Christians, one of the biggest struggles in my opinion, is setting aside time for God. Some people have this down to a t. They wake up every morning and spend an hour or so with Jesus. However, with the realistic knowledge that life will change and circumstances won't always allow for me to have that time in the mornings, it can be difficult. How do we make sure that we are saving time for Jesus in our hectic lives?

    The most important thing that comes to mind is the temptation and circumstances that Satan tries to throw at us to keep us away from anything beneficial, including our time with Jesus. Satan knows that those moments alone with our Savior are crucial for our growth and relationship with Him. These are often the times when Jesus personally ministers to our hearts. The times when we get to fellowship with Him exclusively. Do you realize the importance of that? Satan does!

1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. (ESV)

    That in mind, there will always be an excuse to not set aside time for Jesus. Always. For me personally, these blogs have been a real challenge to keep up with. Jesus asked me to write them for myself, to further our relationship, but also to share them with whomever is interested. I know I was instructed to do them daily, but there is always the temptation to skip a day or change to every other day, etc. I have to make time every day and it's hard with my schedule and the uncertainties of life! But I am glad I have something to keep me grounded and accountable to share that time with Jesus, because it is during those times He speaks to me.

    There is no formula for these types of things. Life is crazy and we don't always have time to sit down for an hour or so and simply take in Jesus, unfortunately. But we can find ways to keep the lines of communication open. Worship in our car, speak to Him in prayer, start reading a daily devotion, spend time with His people, etc. There are lots of options! I strongly encourage you to find ways to grow closer to Jesus. Remember that there will always be a reason not to! You won't have time unless you make time. 


James 4:8 Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. (ESV)

Psalm 119:9 How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word. (ESV)

Psalm 37:3-4 Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness. Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. (ESV)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listen Up

    Is Jesus talking to you? I hear many people wonder how to hear God's voice and what to listen for. I want to offer a bit of wisdom on the topic. If you are wondering if God is talking to you, the answer is yes. We were designed to have a relationship with our creator and He is always there trying to get ahold of you if you'll only pay a little attention.     How does God communicate with us? The first way is through His word. Those are direct words from God Himself, written through His people. The Bible is our instruction manual to life. Whatever difficulty we may be facing, there is always an answer in scripture. God, having known every need before we ever needed it, has already provided an answer. 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness (ESV)     The second way God communicates with us is by talking directly to us. Just like Adam and Eve spok...

1 2 3, Count on Me

     I am thankful to say that for the first time in my life I am surrounded by friends and a community who I know will always build me up and point me in the right direction. More importantly, I know that they will always be honest with me. Honesty is a rare trait these days and I think it to be (combined with love) the most important thing to have in any relationship.    The Bible instructs us to speak life and truth into one another. To be honest and point each other to Christ when we are failing to see straight. I cannot emphasize how much I have grown since having access to that kind of community. Being in close friendships where I am able to be completely honest about my life, my struggles, my thoughts without fear of rejection or judgement is monumental alone. But take that a step further. I have been blessed to have friends that I can not only share my most intimate thoughts with, but they additionally are on their toes looking out for me and honest wh...

Humble Pie

    One of the most valuable characteristics in our walk with Christ is humility. When we have the ability to humble ourselves before Jesus and accept His leading, we go far. But problems arise when we force our own way. Humility is a characteristic that allows us to accept correction and truth and grow stronger because of it. Pride keeps us tied down and unable to grow up in Christ.     We have our brothers and sisters around us to keep pointing us to Jesus. That means helping us through areas not aligned with Him and combating those areas with the truth. But if we get angry and reject those people, we miss out on growing up for sake of being "right" and lose the people Jesus put in our lives for His sake. It doesn't matter if we are right but only that we follow what Jesus calls right and good. He is the one true judge and if we respect His ultimate goodness and authority, we should aim to follow in His ways.     Do not let your pride stunt your spiri...