Skip to main content

I Am

    In the church world, we always hear about the great "I am," but what does that mean? In Exodus, God meets Moses and identifies Himself to him this way. The conversation as is follows:

Exodus 3:13-15 But Moses protested, “If I go to the people of Israel and tell them, ‘The God of your ancestors has sent me to you,’ they will ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what should I tell them?”
God replied to Moses, “I Am Who I Am. Say this to the people of Israel: I Am has sent me to you.” God also said to Moses, “Say this to the people of Israel: Yahweh, the God of your ancestors—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you. This is my eternal name, my name to remember for all generations. (NLT)

    To me, the adjectives that follow this phrase are filled in throughout the pages of the books in the Bible and our own personal life. It conveys how all encompassing our God is. We see Him in different ways throughout our lives, but He is always good. Sometimes He makes Himself known to us as our provider, our comforter, our Savior, our friend, our Father, our husband, etc. Jesus Himself even helped to fill in some of those blanks during His time here on earth.

John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (ESV)
John 8:58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” (ESV)

John 6:35 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world. (NIV)
John 8:23 But he continued, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world" (NIV)

John 10:9 I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. They will come in and go out, and find pasture. (NIV)

John 10:11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. (NIV)
John 11:25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die" (NIV)

John 15:1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. (NIV)

    Who is the Lord to you? What aspect of Himself is He revealing to you in your life right now? Dig in to what He has to offer you and deepen your relationship with the all-encompassing, all-consuming God of all creation.

Revelation 1:8 I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.” (ESV)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listen Up

    Is Jesus talking to you? I hear many people wonder how to hear God's voice and what to listen for. I want to offer a bit of wisdom on the topic. If you are wondering if God is talking to you, the answer is yes. We were designed to have a relationship with our creator and He is always there trying to get ahold of you if you'll only pay a little attention.     How does God communicate with us? The first way is through His word. Those are direct words from God Himself, written through His people. The Bible is our instruction manual to life. Whatever difficulty we may be facing, there is always an answer in scripture. God, having known every need before we ever needed it, has already provided an answer. 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness (ESV)     The second way God communicates with us is by talking directly to us. Just like Adam and Eve spok...

Humble Pie

    One of the most valuable characteristics in our walk with Christ is humility. When we have the ability to humble ourselves before Jesus and accept His leading, we go far. But problems arise when we force our own way. Humility is a characteristic that allows us to accept correction and truth and grow stronger because of it. Pride keeps us tied down and unable to grow up in Christ.     We have our brothers and sisters around us to keep pointing us to Jesus. That means helping us through areas not aligned with Him and combating those areas with the truth. But if we get angry and reject those people, we miss out on growing up for sake of being "right" and lose the people Jesus put in our lives for His sake. It doesn't matter if we are right but only that we follow what Jesus calls right and good. He is the one true judge and if we respect His ultimate goodness and authority, we should aim to follow in His ways.     Do not let your pride stunt your spiri...

Multiplication Without Division

    The church environment is made to be the body and the family of Christ. We are supposed to love each other and support each other through everything. Sadly, this is not the attitude of most churches in America today. Unfortunately, many people bring the world into the church instead of bringing the church into the world.      A lot of people use the church as a place where they can jockey for positions and get recognized for their talents. They use it as a place where they can judge and condemn others from the safety of their own elite clique. They look down condescendingly on those they see sinning, while sweeping their own sin under the rug.  They cause division. This attitude comes straight out of the world without Christ.  Matthew 7:5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. (NIV)     A church is a place where we exalt Jesus and ...