Skip to main content

Present of the Present

    Jesus often gives us a glimpse into our future. Maybe He gives us promises of salvation or reconciliation or an idea of where our calling will take us. Whatever He gives us, it is easy to put our focus on that. I tend to try taking steps to make those things happen or become stir crazy just waiting with those things on my mind.

    The point of those glimpses Jesus gives us is to propel us forward. He encourages us that things won't always be the way they are now, that He has a big plan for our life, etc. Whatever it may be, it is to drive us increasingly towards Him. I challenge you to take heart from His encouragement and be focused on what is in front of you today. We tend to believe that it is up to us to put in the work to get to the places we want to be, but in reality Jesus does all of the work behind the scenes to get us where He wants us to be. We should not be wasting time focused on the future, but instead we should enjoy what He has for us now.

    Wherever we are on our spiritual journey with Jesus, we have to learn to be content. We should be content in the waiting and trust Jesus to handle what He has already promised. Be content in the difficult times because we will face many throughout this life. We waste our time and energy being dissatisfied with the present or trying to make things work on our own. Accept what is going on in your life in the present and look for Jesus in it. Where is He wanting your attention today? On the future? Or on Him?

Philippians 4:11-12 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. (ESV)

Hebrews 13:5 Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” (ESV)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listen Up

    Is Jesus talking to you? I hear many people wonder how to hear God's voice and what to listen for. I want to offer a bit of wisdom on the topic. If you are wondering if God is talking to you, the answer is yes. We were designed to have a relationship with our creator and He is always there trying to get ahold of you if you'll only pay a little attention.     How does God communicate with us? The first way is through His word. Those are direct words from God Himself, written through His people. The Bible is our instruction manual to life. Whatever difficulty we may be facing, there is always an answer in scripture. God, having known every need before we ever needed it, has already provided an answer. 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness (ESV)     The second way God communicates with us is by talking directly to us. Just like Adam and Eve spok...

Humble Pie

    One of the most valuable characteristics in our walk with Christ is humility. When we have the ability to humble ourselves before Jesus and accept His leading, we go far. But problems arise when we force our own way. Humility is a characteristic that allows us to accept correction and truth and grow stronger because of it. Pride keeps us tied down and unable to grow up in Christ.     We have our brothers and sisters around us to keep pointing us to Jesus. That means helping us through areas not aligned with Him and combating those areas with the truth. But if we get angry and reject those people, we miss out on growing up for sake of being "right" and lose the people Jesus put in our lives for His sake. It doesn't matter if we are right but only that we follow what Jesus calls right and good. He is the one true judge and if we respect His ultimate goodness and authority, we should aim to follow in His ways.     Do not let your pride stunt your spiri...

1 2 3, Count on Me

     I am thankful to say that for the first time in my life I am surrounded by friends and a community who I know will always build me up and point me in the right direction. More importantly, I know that they will always be honest with me. Honesty is a rare trait these days and I think it to be (combined with love) the most important thing to have in any relationship.    The Bible instructs us to speak life and truth into one another. To be honest and point each other to Christ when we are failing to see straight. I cannot emphasize how much I have grown since having access to that kind of community. Being in close friendships where I am able to be completely honest about my life, my struggles, my thoughts without fear of rejection or judgement is monumental alone. But take that a step further. I have been blessed to have friends that I can not only share my most intimate thoughts with, but they additionally are on their toes looking out for me and honest wh...