Skip to main content

Tru$t Me

    Today I am continuing to go over some of the basic areas in our life that we should concentrate on sacrificing to Jesus, as He sacrificed Himself for us.

Hebrews 13:16 Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God. (ESV)

Resources 

    Today I will meddle in a sensitive place for most people-- their wallets. Money is always a touchy subject for people. In this world, money is our means to any end. It takes money to do just about anything in this world (even run God's Kingdom *cough cough*). Therefore, a common error of many believers is to see (consciously or unconsciously) money as their provider.

    Most are extremely attached to their money because of their relationship to it. They put their trust in their money instead of their God to supply all their needs. It is a waste to do so, for money neither cares about you nor sticks around to provide for you; it is fleeting. Jesus knew the trouble money caused in the hearts of mankind and warned that wealth made it exceedingly difficult to enter heaven when one is rich before they meet Jesus. However, it is possible with God. 

Philippians 4:19 And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus. (NIV)

Proverbs 23:5 Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone, for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to the sky like an eagle. (NIV)

Matthew 19:23-24, 26 And Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly, I say to you, only with difficulty will a rich person enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.” But Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” (ESV)

    Most are far more willing to sacrifice other things rather than their precious money! "I worked hard for that!" But it is what we are called to do. Not only are we supposed to tithe out of obedience, but we are to be givers beyond that. The more we give, the more it frees God's hand to bless us. When we are stingy with our money, God is slow to give us too much because of the condition of our heart. He wants our hearts to always be fully engaged in Him. If we cannot handle more money without falling away from Him, he often doesn't let us have it. But if we are are giving and faithful with little, he will bless us with much (Luke 16:10). 

    The only reason God blesses us with wealth is so that we will be free to faithfully fund His Kingdom here on earth. God always provides, and His model is typically to provide through people - people like us! We have Jesus inside of us and all we have He has given to us. Why should we be slow to listen when the Holy Spirit prompts us to give financially or otherwise? 

    Lastly, I would like to mention that besides our money, our other resources ought to be readily available presented as sacrifice to our Lord as He leads us. Our connections through work or school, our homes, our supplies, etc. Whatever we have is His and should be used for His purposes. 

    Give Him all you have today. Use His blessings to bless others and fulfill the purposes of His Kingdom here on earth! You will be richly blessed for it. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listen Up

    Is Jesus talking to you? I hear many people wonder how to hear God's voice and what to listen for. I want to offer a bit of wisdom on the topic. If you are wondering if God is talking to you, the answer is yes. We were designed to have a relationship with our creator and He is always there trying to get ahold of you if you'll only pay a little attention.     How does God communicate with us? The first way is through His word. Those are direct words from God Himself, written through His people. The Bible is our instruction manual to life. Whatever difficulty we may be facing, there is always an answer in scripture. God, having known every need before we ever needed it, has already provided an answer. 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness (ESV)     The second way God communicates with us is by talking directly to us. Just like Adam and Eve spok...

1 2 3, Count on Me

     I am thankful to say that for the first time in my life I am surrounded by friends and a community who I know will always build me up and point me in the right direction. More importantly, I know that they will always be honest with me. Honesty is a rare trait these days and I think it to be (combined with love) the most important thing to have in any relationship.    The Bible instructs us to speak life and truth into one another. To be honest and point each other to Christ when we are failing to see straight. I cannot emphasize how much I have grown since having access to that kind of community. Being in close friendships where I am able to be completely honest about my life, my struggles, my thoughts without fear of rejection or judgement is monumental alone. But take that a step further. I have been blessed to have friends that I can not only share my most intimate thoughts with, but they additionally are on their toes looking out for me and honest wh...

Humble Pie

    One of the most valuable characteristics in our walk with Christ is humility. When we have the ability to humble ourselves before Jesus and accept His leading, we go far. But problems arise when we force our own way. Humility is a characteristic that allows us to accept correction and truth and grow stronger because of it. Pride keeps us tied down and unable to grow up in Christ.     We have our brothers and sisters around us to keep pointing us to Jesus. That means helping us through areas not aligned with Him and combating those areas with the truth. But if we get angry and reject those people, we miss out on growing up for sake of being "right" and lose the people Jesus put in our lives for His sake. It doesn't matter if we are right but only that we follow what Jesus calls right and good. He is the one true judge and if we respect His ultimate goodness and authority, we should aim to follow in His ways.     Do not let your pride stunt your spiri...