Skip to main content

Jealous for Me

    What in your life do you have a hard time letting go of? How do you prefer to spend your downtime? What comes first in your life?  Is there something that makes or breaks your mood? These are all questions I ask myself. There should be nothing more important in my life than Jesus. There should be nothing else that I am depending on for my happiness and nothing else that fulfills me like living for Jesus.

    Is anything blocking my way to a better relationship with Jesus? If I hold anything above Him, it is an idol in His eyes. It is easy to overlook the things in our lives that may serve as an idol. We get used to living a certain way and fail to see the harm we inflict upon ourselves when we worship something other than Jesus. 

    What can serve as an idol? Celebrities, our boyfriend or girlfriend, our parents, our children, entertainment, our work… you name it! There are is an infinite number of things that we can hold above Jesus. The trick is to recognize it, then to shift our gaze back on the King. 

    We cannot put our faith in another person to be our Jesus. They will always disappoint us, no matter how much they love us.  And Jesus will always love us more anyway. As for other idols, how can our entertainment, or our work, or anything ever mean more to us than the One who knows us intimately and never fails to meet our every need?? Jesus knows exactly what's right for us at exactly the right time. Jesus not only knows my heart, but everyone else's! Jesus never will lead us astray. So why would I ever try to follow the lead of something else? 

    The Lord despises idols. In the old testament, there are countless times when He is driven by a jealous rage for His people when they turn to idolatry. But when Jesus came to the earth, he made clear that the first and most important commandment was to love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind (Luke 10:27). The second is to love others as yourself. It's not the opposite! Our God wants all our love and affections. He is a jealous God. 

Exodus 20:1-5 
And God spoke all these words:
"I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. "You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God" (NIV)


    There is no one like Our God. There is no one and nothing that could ever even compare to Him. He has greatness beyond measure and yet he calls us His sons and daughters. We do not deserve His love or His goodness or His favor yet He lavishes it upon us! Why then, would we ever want to put anything before Him? I assure you that nothing else will ever fulfill you like Jesus does. Nothing compares. So set aside your idols and worship the One True King!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listen Up

    Is Jesus talking to you? I hear many people wonder how to hear God's voice and what to listen for. I want to offer a bit of wisdom on the topic. If you are wondering if God is talking to you, the answer is yes. We were designed to have a relationship with our creator and He is always there trying to get ahold of you if you'll only pay a little attention.     How does God communicate with us? The first way is through His word. Those are direct words from God Himself, written through His people. The Bible is our instruction manual to life. Whatever difficulty we may be facing, there is always an answer in scripture. God, having known every need before we ever needed it, has already provided an answer. 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness (ESV)     The second way God communicates with us is by talking directly to us. Just like Adam and Eve spok...

1 2 3, Count on Me

     I am thankful to say that for the first time in my life I am surrounded by friends and a community who I know will always build me up and point me in the right direction. More importantly, I know that they will always be honest with me. Honesty is a rare trait these days and I think it to be (combined with love) the most important thing to have in any relationship.    The Bible instructs us to speak life and truth into one another. To be honest and point each other to Christ when we are failing to see straight. I cannot emphasize how much I have grown since having access to that kind of community. Being in close friendships where I am able to be completely honest about my life, my struggles, my thoughts without fear of rejection or judgement is monumental alone. But take that a step further. I have been blessed to have friends that I can not only share my most intimate thoughts with, but they additionally are on their toes looking out for me and honest wh...

Humble Pie

    One of the most valuable characteristics in our walk with Christ is humility. When we have the ability to humble ourselves before Jesus and accept His leading, we go far. But problems arise when we force our own way. Humility is a characteristic that allows us to accept correction and truth and grow stronger because of it. Pride keeps us tied down and unable to grow up in Christ.     We have our brothers and sisters around us to keep pointing us to Jesus. That means helping us through areas not aligned with Him and combating those areas with the truth. But if we get angry and reject those people, we miss out on growing up for sake of being "right" and lose the people Jesus put in our lives for His sake. It doesn't matter if we are right but only that we follow what Jesus calls right and good. He is the one true judge and if we respect His ultimate goodness and authority, we should aim to follow in His ways.     Do not let your pride stunt your spiri...