Skip to main content

Free and Willing

    From the moment we accept Jesus as our savior, not only do we receive the gift of eternal life and escape from the punishment awaiting Satan, we also gain freedom in all aspects of our lives. When Jesus' Holy Spirit resides in us, He empowers us to do the things we could not do through our flesh alone. We literally have Jesus working through us in all His perfection!

    Sadly, some "Christians" are not looking to be free of their sins like we could be with Jesus. They are simply content with having him save them from Hell. Once they get their "get out of jail free card," they continue to live their lives in the way they did before as if nothing has changed. Francis Chan has a name for these types of Christians. 

"Lukewarm people don't really want to be saved from their sin; they want only to be saved from the penalty of their sin. They don't genuinely hate sin and aren't truly sorry for it; they're merely sorry because God is going to punish them. Lukewarm people don't really believe that this new life Jesus offers is better than the old sinful one."
"Lukewarm people are moved by stories about people who do radical things for Christ, yet they do not act. They assume such action is for 'extreme' Christians, not average ones. Lukewarm people call 'radical' what Jesus expected of all His followers."
                                               Francis Chan, Crazy Love 

     I don't want to be a "lukewarm" Christian. I want to live radically free from my sins, striving to be more like Jesus each day. We do not have to live in the bondage of sin anymore. When His Spirit is alive in me, I have all the power I need to resist temptation and worldly influences. It is a process of trusting Him and learning to lean on His Spirit rather than our flesh. For the Spirit is willing to resist, but the flesh is weak to temptation.

Matthew 26:41 The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. (NIV)

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me. (ESV)

    Make the decision today to live in all you have access to through Christ! Jesus has done it all for us. We do not need to be tied down by the bondage and death of sin. Jesus paid the price for our freedom and redemption. Let's start living in it.

2 Corinthians 3:17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. (NIV)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listen Up

    Is Jesus talking to you? I hear many people wonder how to hear God's voice and what to listen for. I want to offer a bit of wisdom on the topic. If you are wondering if God is talking to you, the answer is yes. We were designed to have a relationship with our creator and He is always there trying to get ahold of you if you'll only pay a little attention.     How does God communicate with us? The first way is through His word. Those are direct words from God Himself, written through His people. The Bible is our instruction manual to life. Whatever difficulty we may be facing, there is always an answer in scripture. God, having known every need before we ever needed it, has already provided an answer. 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness (ESV)     The second way God communicates with us is by talking directly to us. Just like Adam and Eve spok...

1 2 3, Count on Me

     I am thankful to say that for the first time in my life I am surrounded by friends and a community who I know will always build me up and point me in the right direction. More importantly, I know that they will always be honest with me. Honesty is a rare trait these days and I think it to be (combined with love) the most important thing to have in any relationship.    The Bible instructs us to speak life and truth into one another. To be honest and point each other to Christ when we are failing to see straight. I cannot emphasize how much I have grown since having access to that kind of community. Being in close friendships where I am able to be completely honest about my life, my struggles, my thoughts without fear of rejection or judgement is monumental alone. But take that a step further. I have been blessed to have friends that I can not only share my most intimate thoughts with, but they additionally are on their toes looking out for me and honest wh...

Humble Pie

    One of the most valuable characteristics in our walk with Christ is humility. When we have the ability to humble ourselves before Jesus and accept His leading, we go far. But problems arise when we force our own way. Humility is a characteristic that allows us to accept correction and truth and grow stronger because of it. Pride keeps us tied down and unable to grow up in Christ.     We have our brothers and sisters around us to keep pointing us to Jesus. That means helping us through areas not aligned with Him and combating those areas with the truth. But if we get angry and reject those people, we miss out on growing up for sake of being "right" and lose the people Jesus put in our lives for His sake. It doesn't matter if we are right but only that we follow what Jesus calls right and good. He is the one true judge and if we respect His ultimate goodness and authority, we should aim to follow in His ways.     Do not let your pride stunt your spiri...