Skip to main content

The Big Boss

    When I am faced with work to do, I often complain and grumble. I put off doing things I know I will not enjoy. I get frustrated with school and work and things that need to be done. I think of all the ways I could be better spending my time--including spending it with the Lord. When I finally have to get a job done, I admit that the manner in which I do it can be begrudging and half-hearted. Most of us can relate, I imagine. Work is work. We don't always enjoy it.

    But today I challenge you to join me in trying to change that begrudging mindset. The Bible tells us that all we do is to be done for the Lord. We don't live under the dominion of our bosses or our teachers, but under Jesus. He is our King and we strive to do only what He requires and asks of us. That does not mean we should disobey and disrespect those who are in authority over us! We are called to live as servants to all, as Christ was for us. But we are first His servants. Maybe sometimes those two things seem to conflict, but under closer examination I find them to go hand and hand.

Colossians 3:23 Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men. (ESV)

1 Corinthians 15:58 Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain. (ESV)

Luke 22:27 For who is the greater, one who reclines at table or one who serves? Is it not the one who reclines at table? But I am among you as the one who serves. (ESV)

    We may think that we won't be able to serve our bosses and serve the Lord. This is false! Serving Him is living according to His word. He tells us that we are to respect those bosses, teachers, pastors, officers, etc. Do not think that by treating them disrespectfully or condescendingly is "The Lord's will." He put them there-- in whatever position they're in! However, if your boss asks something of you that doesn't align with scripture and Jesus' will for you, that's when we respectfully decline.

Hebrews 13:17 Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you. (ESV)

    One area I can struggle with is wanting to excel in my work. As I said before, I think of all the ways I could be better spending my time and resent the work for getting in the way. Therefore, I am satisfied giving less than my best even though I know it'll come back to bite me. Then when it does, I cry before God for mercy and He delivers me. And usually fixing those things takes even more time than it would have if I had done things properly in the first place!

Ephesians 6:7-8 Rendering service with a good will as to the Lord and not to man, knowing that whatever good anyone does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether he is a slave or free. (ESV)

Titus 2:7 Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works (ESV)

    But the truth is, I shouldn't resent my work. I should be spending my time efficiently for the Lord, even in the work. I should be a shining example of Him in the quality of work I produce. I need to realize that even the work I have to do is preparing me for the future He has for me. I need to remember that it's all for Him and not those people I resentfully want to under-deliver  to. I challenge you also today. Work for Him and see how it changes your outlook and perspective and that of those around you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listen Up

    Is Jesus talking to you? I hear many people wonder how to hear God's voice and what to listen for. I want to offer a bit of wisdom on the topic. If you are wondering if God is talking to you, the answer is yes. We were designed to have a relationship with our creator and He is always there trying to get ahold of you if you'll only pay a little attention.     How does God communicate with us? The first way is through His word. Those are direct words from God Himself, written through His people. The Bible is our instruction manual to life. Whatever difficulty we may be facing, there is always an answer in scripture. God, having known every need before we ever needed it, has already provided an answer. 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness (ESV)     The second way God communicates with us is by talking directly to us. Just like Adam and Eve spok...

Multiplication Without Division

    The church environment is made to be the body and the family of Christ. We are supposed to love each other and support each other through everything. Sadly, this is not the attitude of most churches in America today. Unfortunately, many people bring the world into the church instead of bringing the church into the world.      A lot of people use the church as a place where they can jockey for positions and get recognized for their talents. They use it as a place where they can judge and condemn others from the safety of their own elite clique. They look down condescendingly on those they see sinning, while sweeping their own sin under the rug.  They cause division. This attitude comes straight out of the world without Christ.  Matthew 7:5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. (NIV)     A church is a place where we exalt Jesus and ...

Humble Pie

    One of the most valuable characteristics in our walk with Christ is humility. When we have the ability to humble ourselves before Jesus and accept His leading, we go far. But problems arise when we force our own way. Humility is a characteristic that allows us to accept correction and truth and grow stronger because of it. Pride keeps us tied down and unable to grow up in Christ.     We have our brothers and sisters around us to keep pointing us to Jesus. That means helping us through areas not aligned with Him and combating those areas with the truth. But if we get angry and reject those people, we miss out on growing up for sake of being "right" and lose the people Jesus put in our lives for His sake. It doesn't matter if we are right but only that we follow what Jesus calls right and good. He is the one true judge and if we respect His ultimate goodness and authority, we should aim to follow in His ways.     Do not let your pride stunt your spiri...