Skip to main content

Fallen Star

    Today I want to go into a story in the Bible that we are all familiar with-- the fall of Satan. I think that this is a topic that can be foggy. It is one of those staples of Christianity that a great many people assume you know about, so not many pastors teach on it. But this is something we need to be able to know and explain to non-believers. It is why our world is in the condition it is in today.

    When Satan was known as Lucifer, or "morning star," he resided in heaven with God and the other angels. He led other angels in worshipping God in His very throne room. God created him in perfection and beauty.

Ezekiel 28:12-19
“You were the model of perfection,
full of wisdom and exquisite in beauty.
You were in Eden,
the garden of God.
Your clothing was adorned with every precious stone—
red carnelian, pale-green peridot, white moonstone,
blue-green beryl, onyx, green jasper,
blue lapis lazuli, turquoise, and emerald—
all beautifully crafted for you
and set in the finest gold.
They were given to you
on the day you were created.
I ordained and anointed you
as the mighty angelic guardian.
You had access to the holy mountain of God
and walked among the stones of fire. (NLT)


    Then, Satan grew prideful due to his beauty and began to think of himself more highly than God. Not only was he beautiful, but he also had the intellect and wisdom to understand God, exceeding other angelic beings. But he wanted more than the perfection God had already given him. It wasn't enough for him. He wanted to be God.  He wanted to be worshipped for the gifts he had been created with and so he gathered a following of angels who would do so.

Ezekiel 28:15-17
“You were blameless in all you did
from the day you were created
until the day evil was found in you.
Your rich commerce led you to violence,
and you sinned.
So I banished you in disgrace
from the mountain of God.
I expelled you, O mighty guardian,
from your place among the stones of fire.
Your heart was filled with pride
because of all your beauty.
Your wisdom was corrupted
by your love of splendor. (NLT)

Isaiah 14:12-15
How you have fallen from heaven,
morning star, son of the dawn!
You have been cast down to the earth,
you who once laid low the nations!
You said in your heart,
“I will ascend to the heavens;
I will raise my throne
above the stars of God;
I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly,
on the utmost heights of Mount Zaphon.
I will ascend above the tops of the clouds;
I will make myself like the Most High.”
But you are brought down to the realm of the dead,
to the depths of the pit. (NIV)


    Then, Satan gathered his "troops" of followers and began the civil war of heaven. He tried to overthrow his creator to become his own god! When God obviously won the battle, he threw Satan and his following out of heaven forever. Where did he throw them? It wasn't to hell--it was to earth. God sent Satan and his followers here to await their destruction on our wonderful planet. 

Revelation 12:7-9 Then war broke out in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back. But he was not strong enough, and they lost their place in heaven.The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan,who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him. (NIV)
Luke 10:18 He [Jesus] replied, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven." (NIV)

    How is all of this relevant to us, though? How is knowing Satan's background and that he resides right here on earth going to shape my walk with Christ? I believe it is vital to understand this thoroughly to get the true picture of the human condition and the state of our world at present. So for the answers to these questions, check back tomorrow as I continue to explain. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listen Up

    Is Jesus talking to you? I hear many people wonder how to hear God's voice and what to listen for. I want to offer a bit of wisdom on the topic. If you are wondering if God is talking to you, the answer is yes. We were designed to have a relationship with our creator and He is always there trying to get ahold of you if you'll only pay a little attention.     How does God communicate with us? The first way is through His word. Those are direct words from God Himself, written through His people. The Bible is our instruction manual to life. Whatever difficulty we may be facing, there is always an answer in scripture. God, having known every need before we ever needed it, has already provided an answer. 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness (ESV)     The second way God communicates with us is by talking directly to us. Just like Adam and Eve spok...

1 2 3, Count on Me

     I am thankful to say that for the first time in my life I am surrounded by friends and a community who I know will always build me up and point me in the right direction. More importantly, I know that they will always be honest with me. Honesty is a rare trait these days and I think it to be (combined with love) the most important thing to have in any relationship.    The Bible instructs us to speak life and truth into one another. To be honest and point each other to Christ when we are failing to see straight. I cannot emphasize how much I have grown since having access to that kind of community. Being in close friendships where I am able to be completely honest about my life, my struggles, my thoughts without fear of rejection or judgement is monumental alone. But take that a step further. I have been blessed to have friends that I can not only share my most intimate thoughts with, but they additionally are on their toes looking out for me and honest wh...

Humble Pie

    One of the most valuable characteristics in our walk with Christ is humility. When we have the ability to humble ourselves before Jesus and accept His leading, we go far. But problems arise when we force our own way. Humility is a characteristic that allows us to accept correction and truth and grow stronger because of it. Pride keeps us tied down and unable to grow up in Christ.     We have our brothers and sisters around us to keep pointing us to Jesus. That means helping us through areas not aligned with Him and combating those areas with the truth. But if we get angry and reject those people, we miss out on growing up for sake of being "right" and lose the people Jesus put in our lives for His sake. It doesn't matter if we are right but only that we follow what Jesus calls right and good. He is the one true judge and if we respect His ultimate goodness and authority, we should aim to follow in His ways.     Do not let your pride stunt your spiri...