Skip to main content

Love of a Father

    When storms in life come do you panic? Do you blame God for the sufferings you have had to endure? I think it is time we challenge that outlook. We were created as children of the most high God. He is our Heavenly Father. Think of how the duties of an earthly father reflects on our Heavenly Father. A father is supposed to love his children, provide for them, protect them, discipline them, and teach them how to live fruitfully. 

    Our Heavenly Father provides those same things for us-- including discipline. That may sound harsh, but discipline is meant for our good. I'm sure we have all known someone with undisciplined kids. Most of the time they are destructive and extreme in their actions. They don't listen to reason and they manipulate people (mainly their parents) to get what they want. Doesn't watching that sicken you? I always think about the future of the child in the "real" world because the world won't put up with an ungrateful and manipulative friend/employee/spouse. Wouldn't a parent want to prepare their child to go into that world and be successful and fulfilled? How big of a role does discipline have in that goal? 

   When a child is acting out destructively in the natural, it is often for attention. The child longs to be corrected! I may not yet have children myself, but when watching them I have seen this pattern. I have even heard comments like, "Aren't you going to say something about me doing ___?" And when I have corrected the behavior, the child is more at ease. I think we are the same way with our Heavenly Father. When we get into self-destructive behaviors it is a cry for help and attention that we may not even realize we are asking for. 

    All of this to say that our Heavenly Father loves us so much that He does indeed discipline us. Sometimes storms come and He lets us go through the trials. Not to hurt us, but to strengthen us for what He has in store for us so that we will not be hurt much worse in the future. And when trouble comes, it reveals our true heart, and it isn't always focused on Him. When storms blow in life, if the foundation of our hearts is not firm in Christ, they will destroy the walls we've built. Our Heavenly Father allows this to happen so that we can choose to rebuild with His foundations. He reveals the problem and we can either deal with the pain and realign with His foundation, or ignore it and continue down the same path. We find that when we handle it that way and live with unaddressed pain, the storms get harder and the pain gets deeper and the consequences become more serious. 

   I strongly encourage you to change your thoughts on the storms of life. Stop and ask your Father what He is trying to teach you. What is He addressing in your heart? How is He trying to strengthen you? When you invite Him in and address those things you will find a renewed strength in your soul.



Hebrews 12:3-13
For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, so that you won’t grow weary and lose heart. In struggling against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. And you have forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons:


My son, do not take the Lord’s discipline lightly
or faint when you are reproved by Him,
for the Lord disciplines the one He loves
and punishes every son He receives.


Endure suffering as discipline: God is dealing with you as sons. For what son is there that a father does not discipline? But if you are without discipline—which all receive—then you are illegitimate children and not sons. Furthermore, we had natural fathers discipline us, and we respected them. Shouldn’t we submit even more to the Father of spirits and live? For they disciplined us for a short time based on what seemed good to them, but He does it for our benefit, so that we can share His holiness. No discipline seems enjoyable at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it yields the fruit of peace and righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

Therefore strengthen your tired hands and weakened knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be dislocated but healed instead. (HCSB)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listen Up

    Is Jesus talking to you? I hear many people wonder how to hear God's voice and what to listen for. I want to offer a bit of wisdom on the topic. If you are wondering if God is talking to you, the answer is yes. We were designed to have a relationship with our creator and He is always there trying to get ahold of you if you'll only pay a little attention.     How does God communicate with us? The first way is through His word. Those are direct words from God Himself, written through His people. The Bible is our instruction manual to life. Whatever difficulty we may be facing, there is always an answer in scripture. God, having known every need before we ever needed it, has already provided an answer. 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness (ESV)     The second way God communicates with us is by talking directly to us. Just like Adam and Eve spok...

1 2 3, Count on Me

     I am thankful to say that for the first time in my life I am surrounded by friends and a community who I know will always build me up and point me in the right direction. More importantly, I know that they will always be honest with me. Honesty is a rare trait these days and I think it to be (combined with love) the most important thing to have in any relationship.    The Bible instructs us to speak life and truth into one another. To be honest and point each other to Christ when we are failing to see straight. I cannot emphasize how much I have grown since having access to that kind of community. Being in close friendships where I am able to be completely honest about my life, my struggles, my thoughts without fear of rejection or judgement is monumental alone. But take that a step further. I have been blessed to have friends that I can not only share my most intimate thoughts with, but they additionally are on their toes looking out for me and honest wh...

Humble Pie

    One of the most valuable characteristics in our walk with Christ is humility. When we have the ability to humble ourselves before Jesus and accept His leading, we go far. But problems arise when we force our own way. Humility is a characteristic that allows us to accept correction and truth and grow stronger because of it. Pride keeps us tied down and unable to grow up in Christ.     We have our brothers and sisters around us to keep pointing us to Jesus. That means helping us through areas not aligned with Him and combating those areas with the truth. But if we get angry and reject those people, we miss out on growing up for sake of being "right" and lose the people Jesus put in our lives for His sake. It doesn't matter if we are right but only that we follow what Jesus calls right and good. He is the one true judge and if we respect His ultimate goodness and authority, we should aim to follow in His ways.     Do not let your pride stunt your spiri...