Skip to main content

The Great Divide

    The Bible tells us that the ways of the world are the opposite of the ways of Jesus Christ. Somehow, we mix that up and think that we can do life buffet style-- take some of the world and some of Jesus for our own personal mix of favorites. But that is not how it works.

    Sin does not mix with righteousness. This is why in the old testament, before Jesus and grace, the Lord had His people stay separate from the rest of the nations that were living in sin. Additionally, they had to purify themselves of their sins and unrighteousness through sacrifices. But no human could keep up to that standard and God could not bear the separation that sin caused between Him and His beloved people. In steps Jesus to bridge the sin gap between us and God. He provided the ultimate sacrifice and gave us a better path to righteousness-- Himself. He does the work through us, if we only seek Him and allow Him.

Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (ESV)


    We have grace, through Jesus, to make mistakes. We are human and we mess up, so we repent and God forgives us and we move forward without judgement. However, we need to choose Jesus over the world and not straddle the line between the two. You can only have ONE. They repel one another! Either you will be living in sin and straying farther away from Jesus, or you will be living in Jesus and straying away from sin. The choice is entirely yours.

    Today I encourage you to start paying attention to the choices you are making. Compare them with the Bible. Find out for certain what is from God and what isn't and apply that filter in your life. Be careful that you are not walking in sin and straying from Jesus. But the good news is that if you seek to walk in His ways, you will automatically begin to hate sin as He hates sin. But it all starts with knowing the difference. Make the decision to stop straddling the border between death and life. Choose life.

2 Corinthians 6:14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? (NIV)


1 Kings 18:21 And Elijah came near to all the people and said, “How long will you go limping between two different opinions? If the Lord is God, follow him; but if Baal, then follow him.” And the people did not answer him a word. (ESV)

Matthew 6:24 No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money. (ESV)

Joshua 24:15 And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord (ESV)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listen Up

    Is Jesus talking to you? I hear many people wonder how to hear God's voice and what to listen for. I want to offer a bit of wisdom on the topic. If you are wondering if God is talking to you, the answer is yes. We were designed to have a relationship with our creator and He is always there trying to get ahold of you if you'll only pay a little attention.     How does God communicate with us? The first way is through His word. Those are direct words from God Himself, written through His people. The Bible is our instruction manual to life. Whatever difficulty we may be facing, there is always an answer in scripture. God, having known every need before we ever needed it, has already provided an answer. 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness (ESV)     The second way God communicates with us is by talking directly to us. Just like Adam and Eve spok...

1 2 3, Count on Me

     I am thankful to say that for the first time in my life I am surrounded by friends and a community who I know will always build me up and point me in the right direction. More importantly, I know that they will always be honest with me. Honesty is a rare trait these days and I think it to be (combined with love) the most important thing to have in any relationship.    The Bible instructs us to speak life and truth into one another. To be honest and point each other to Christ when we are failing to see straight. I cannot emphasize how much I have grown since having access to that kind of community. Being in close friendships where I am able to be completely honest about my life, my struggles, my thoughts without fear of rejection or judgement is monumental alone. But take that a step further. I have been blessed to have friends that I can not only share my most intimate thoughts with, but they additionally are on their toes looking out for me and honest wh...

Humble Pie

    One of the most valuable characteristics in our walk with Christ is humility. When we have the ability to humble ourselves before Jesus and accept His leading, we go far. But problems arise when we force our own way. Humility is a characteristic that allows us to accept correction and truth and grow stronger because of it. Pride keeps us tied down and unable to grow up in Christ.     We have our brothers and sisters around us to keep pointing us to Jesus. That means helping us through areas not aligned with Him and combating those areas with the truth. But if we get angry and reject those people, we miss out on growing up for sake of being "right" and lose the people Jesus put in our lives for His sake. It doesn't matter if we are right but only that we follow what Jesus calls right and good. He is the one true judge and if we respect His ultimate goodness and authority, we should aim to follow in His ways.     Do not let your pride stunt your spiri...