Skip to main content

Winning the Lottery

    The day we received our salvation, we received so much more than just eternal life (as if that weren't enough!). When we accept the free gift of life that we have access to through Jesus, we gain everything that we could ever need.

    When Jesus died on the cross, he took the punishment for every sin that you have ever and will ever commit. The Bible tells us in Romans 6:23 that the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Jesus was not worthy of death because he never sinned. Not even once. But with that bloody death he bought it all.

    I think this verse sums it up nicely. 
Romans 8:1-4 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. (NIV)

    It is unfathomable how much we actually have access to when we accept Jesus. The Bible tells us that we are adopted into Jesus' family by the Father. And if that isn't incredible enough, it even tells us that we are coheirs with Jesus, winning all the rewards that He alone deserves!

Romans 8:15-17 The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory. (NIV)

    So what are some of the benefits that we inherit by way of Jesus?
 Galatians 5:22-24 lays some of it out. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. (NIV)

    We get all His love. A love so deep that we cannot begin to fathom it.

John 16:27 For the Father Himself loves you, because you have loved Me and have believed that I came from God. (HCSB)

1 John 4:10 This is real love—not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins. (NLT)

Jeremiah 31:3 Long ago the Lord said to Israel: "I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love. With unfailing love I have drawn you to myself." (NLT)

    We get peace through all life's storms. Peace because we have our trust in the One who makes the world turn.

Philippians 4:7 Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. (NLT)

    He even let us use His great name to petition to the Father with every need and concern.

John 14:13-14 Whatever you ask for in My name, I will do it so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in My name I will do it. (HCSB)

    We gain health through Him. When He died for us, he took all the sickness that is caused by the darkness in this world. All we have to do is ask in His name and receive His gift of healing!

Isaiah 53:5 But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed. (NIV)

    One of the biggest gifts Jesus sent to us was the comforter, His Holy Spirit. Literally, Jesus sent us His own Spirit so that we don't have to live by our own strength anymore. When we invite the Holy Spirit inside and lean on Him, He begins to act for us. So put simply, Jesus' Spirit works directly through us. That has got to take some of the pressure off! When we seek Him and submit to His leading we are free! We live completely freed of the trap of sin!

John 14:16-18 And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Counselor to be with you forever. He is the Spirit of truth. The world is unable to receive Him because it doesn’t see Him or know Him. But you do know Him, because He remains with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I am coming to you. (HCSB)

    Not only are we given an unfathomable, fervent love, but the best friend we could ever imagine. A friend that will never leave us nor forsake us. Who always has our best interest at heart. Who always lovingly confronts us with the truth.

John 15:15 No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you. (ESV)

We gain a Father. We gain a healer. We gain a lover. We gain a best friend. Truly we have hit the jackpot! And it is a joy to serve Him. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listen Up

    Is Jesus talking to you? I hear many people wonder how to hear God's voice and what to listen for. I want to offer a bit of wisdom on the topic. If you are wondering if God is talking to you, the answer is yes. We were designed to have a relationship with our creator and He is always there trying to get ahold of you if you'll only pay a little attention.     How does God communicate with us? The first way is through His word. Those are direct words from God Himself, written through His people. The Bible is our instruction manual to life. Whatever difficulty we may be facing, there is always an answer in scripture. God, having known every need before we ever needed it, has already provided an answer. 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness (ESV)     The second way God communicates with us is by talking directly to us. Just like Adam and Eve spok...

1 2 3, Count on Me

     I am thankful to say that for the first time in my life I am surrounded by friends and a community who I know will always build me up and point me in the right direction. More importantly, I know that they will always be honest with me. Honesty is a rare trait these days and I think it to be (combined with love) the most important thing to have in any relationship.    The Bible instructs us to speak life and truth into one another. To be honest and point each other to Christ when we are failing to see straight. I cannot emphasize how much I have grown since having access to that kind of community. Being in close friendships where I am able to be completely honest about my life, my struggles, my thoughts without fear of rejection or judgement is monumental alone. But take that a step further. I have been blessed to have friends that I can not only share my most intimate thoughts with, but they additionally are on their toes looking out for me and honest wh...

Humble Pie

    One of the most valuable characteristics in our walk with Christ is humility. When we have the ability to humble ourselves before Jesus and accept His leading, we go far. But problems arise when we force our own way. Humility is a characteristic that allows us to accept correction and truth and grow stronger because of it. Pride keeps us tied down and unable to grow up in Christ.     We have our brothers and sisters around us to keep pointing us to Jesus. That means helping us through areas not aligned with Him and combating those areas with the truth. But if we get angry and reject those people, we miss out on growing up for sake of being "right" and lose the people Jesus put in our lives for His sake. It doesn't matter if we are right but only that we follow what Jesus calls right and good. He is the one true judge and if we respect His ultimate goodness and authority, we should aim to follow in His ways.     Do not let your pride stunt your spiri...