Skip to main content

The Path to Life

     Through this most recent season in life, God has been teaching me what it truly means to follow His plans for my life. Over the last year or so,  I have had to make some of the most ''adult" decisions in my life so far. Through that process, I have had to rely heavily on faith and the leading of the Holy Spirit to discern which is the right way to go. It has been a challenge for me, a planner to the core, to put my trust fully in God's plans and leading even when I am unable to see what's ahead and I am glad to say I have come out having learned a few things.

     The main takeaway I would like to share is this: the right way is not the easiest way. That probably sounds very obvious if you have spent any time in church, but I never thought about that principle carrying over into walking out God's plans for my life. You see, there have been decisions that I have made over the last year that I was certain were what God was leading me to do. And yet, when those plans didn't end up going as smoothly as I anticipated, I questioned whether or not it was God at all. I wrestled with this, bringing it to the Lord in prayer. The conclusion I came to is this: just because God is leading us to do something, does not mean it will be easy. However, it does mean it will be the best path for us, ultimately. 

     If you haven't figured it out by now, life isn't easy. We live in a fallen world and even Jesus told us we would have trouble. But through Him alone, we find peace, love, joy, and all of the other fruits of the Spirit.

     So how do we discern what God's plan is for us? According to Philippians 4:6-7, we pray about it and we follow the path that brings us peace. Even when making a certain decision doesn't look like the easiest way, God uses peace that transcends our human understanding to guide us in the right direction. If we want to follow the plans He has for us, we really have to be mindful to listen for that still, small voice leading us and to pay attention to the way we feel in our hearts. Do you have peace about the decision you're thinking of making despite the difficulties that may come with it? If so, take a step in that direction and see if you still have that peace.

     Lastly, I would just like to encourage anyone reading this that God's plans for us are always good! Even though the way may not be easy, the Lord uses every difficulty in life for our good to strengthen  our relationship with Him and to bless us. Do not be discouraged when you follow God's leading for your life and encounter hardships-- the narrow path leads to life!


Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. (ESV)

Matthew 7:13-14 - Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few. (ESV)

Philippians 4:6-7 - do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (ESV)

John 16:33 - I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world. (ESV)

Acts 14:21-22 - After preaching the Good News in Derbe and making many disciples, Paul and Barnabas returned to Lystra, Iconium, and Antioch of Pisidia, where they strengthened the believers. They encouraged them to continue in the faith, reminding them that we must suffer many hardships to enter the Kingdom of God. (NLT)

Galatians 5:22-23 - But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, gentleness, self-control. Against such things there is no law. (HCSB)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confused?

    Becoming a Christian means learning an entirely different way to live. The adjustment feels weird at first because we are learning to live by our Spirits and not by our flesh, as we had done previously. After our salvation we are perpetually in this process, being changed into the image of Christ. Naturally, we want to know how to do this! What does it look like to walk out life with Christ?     Unfortunately, there are a lot of churches that are living by the law and give half-Biblical answers to this question. They view scriptures through a worldly perspective and interpret them to mean something different than they actually do. People do this so that they can continue to live in their flesh, feeling justified by a verse taken out of context or interpreted incorrectly. This way of living is not only misleading, it is confusing!     When scriptures are misinterpreted, they won't align with the rest of the word. The Bible will never contradict itself! If you are finding con

A Life of Servitude

   When we are living in the Kingdom of God, we have to abide by a completely different lifestyle than that of the world. The word tells us that to the world, the wisdom of God seems like foolishness. It is completely counterintuitive! Today, I think of this in the context of leadership. To the world, to be a great leader you are often taught to assert yourself and do whatever it takes to get on top. In the Kingdom we are taught that being recognized as a leader means putting yourself below others and letting God raise you up as He chooses to. Luke 14:11    For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted. (NLT)          So what does that look like? Well, it looks a lot like Jesus. During His life on earth, Jesus never asserted Himself over anyone-- even though He is the true King over all!! That's crazy humble. The mere fact that He even came down to earth in the form of a man is mind-blowing. Why would our savior come down t

1 2 3, Count on Me

     I am thankful to say that for the first time in my life I am surrounded by friends and a community who I know will always build me up and point me in the right direction. More importantly, I know that they will always be honest with me. Honesty is a rare trait these days and I think it to be (combined with love) the most important thing to have in any relationship.    The Bible instructs us to speak life and truth into one another. To be honest and point each other to Christ when we are failing to see straight. I cannot emphasize how much I have grown since having access to that kind of community. Being in close friendships where I am able to be completely honest about my life, my struggles, my thoughts without fear of rejection or judgement is monumental alone. But take that a step further. I have been blessed to have friends that I can not only share my most intimate thoughts with, but they additionally are on their toes looking out for me and honest when they see a trap of si